Kentucky Golf Association
Preview & Storylines- 119th U.S. Open Qualifying
Related Links: Scoring & Results
Kentucky will host its sole US Open Local Qualifier on Thursday, May 9 at Kearney Hill Golf Links in Lexington. 102 golfers will descend upon the Pete Dye design in search of 6 available spots to advance to Sectional Qualifying. The contestants will play 18 holes of stroke play to determine who moves on to the next stage with the ultimate goal being to make it to the 119th US Open at Pebble Beach Golf Links in Monterrey Peninsula, California on June 13-16.
This is one of 114 Local Qualifiers taking place across the United States to help shape the field of this year’s championship. Local Qualifying began on April 29 with events in Hawaii, Georgia and Texas and will conclude on May 13 in more than a dozen states including Alaska along with the province of Ontario. 2019 marks the 50-year anniversary of the last time a player won the US Open by advancing through a Local Qualifier, which was done by Orville Moody. Some of the notable players who will be competing at Kearney Hill seeking to end that drought include the following:
- Eric Axley – former PGA Tour winner currently competing on the Web.com Tour
- Trey Bowling – reigning Kentucky Open champion
- Chip McDaniel – 2017 Kentucky Amateur Champion; finished T5 in the PGA Tour’s Puntacana Resort & Club Championship in March
- Daniel Iceman III – reigning Kentucky PGA Assistant Player of the Year
- Sean Moore – last year’s medalist in the Local Qualifier at Kearney Hill with a 65 (-7)
- Andrew Stephens – reigning Kentucky PGA Professional Championship winner, which also took place at Kearney Hill
- Brett Wetterich – former PGA Tour winner and member of the 2006 US Ryder Cup team
The six qualifiers who advance on Thursday will compete in Sectional Qualifying on Monday, June 3 in the event of their choice. Those will take place in Ontario, Florida, California, Georgia, Maryland, New York, Ohio, and Washington.
For complete information about Thursday’s Local Qualifier at Kearney Hill Golf Links, click here.