Dorothy Waters was quite active in the Women’s Fall Cities Golf Association for more than 60 years and founded the Louisville District Women’s Golf Association in 1952. She was secretary of the Women’s Kentucky State Golf Association for over 30 years and was instrumental in starting the Women's Kentucky Senior Amateur in 1980. For her inspiration and lifetime commitment to the game of golf, the Women’s Kentucky Golf Association established the Dorothy Waters Scholarship fund for girls 18 and under to help defray tournament expenses.
PHILOSOPHY OF AWARD:
- To honor Dorothy Waters for a lifetime of commitment to and participation in the game of golf in the state of Kentucky
- To provide inspiration to women of all ages who best exemplify the qualities for which she stands: integrity, honor, and sportsmanship
It is the hope of the WKSGA Board of Directors and its Junior Golf Committee that this award will provide an incentive to junior girl golfers to make golf, and tournament golf in particular, their game for a lifetime.
This award recognizes that the junior girl golfers of Kentucky represent the future of this Association and that of the women’s game in Kentucky. Therefore, it is the desire of the WKSGA to inspire the junior girl golfers of Kentucky to participate in the game both on and off the course.
PURPOSE OF AWARD:
- To promote participation in tournament golf among Kentucky junior girl golfers in the hope that they will discover the lifetime of challenge, enjoyment and friendships that the game offers
- To provide financial assistance to Kentucky junior girl golfers in defraying expenses related to playing tournament golf
AMOUNT & CONDITIONS:
Each year, the Junior Golf Committee determines the amount(s) designated for each award. Generally, there is a $500, $300 and $200 award. If a recipient of an award is entered in the state tournament, the amount will be doubled.
THIS AWARD SHALL ONLY BE AVAILABLE FOR DEFRAYING ACTUAL EXPENSES INCURRED FOR GOLF TOURNAMENTS. THEREFORE, IN NO EVENT, SHALL ANY UNUSED ALLOCATIONS OR UN-REIMBURSABLE EXPENSES BE PAID IN CASH TO THE RECIPIENT(S) OF THE AWARD(S).
Eligible tournaments may be regional, state, or national but will exclude high school events.
RECEIPTS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY SEPTEMBER 30, OF THE YEAR AWARD RECEIVED.
- Nominees shall not have reached their 18th birthday as of August 31, of the year award received.
- This award shall be limited to girls possessing a maximum USGA handicap of 25
- Nominees must possess the characteristics of integrity, honor, and sportsmanship
- Previous tournament experience (no matter how limited) at local, regional, or state level is encouraged
- Previous winners of this award must wait one year before re-applying
Junior Golf Committee members shall review nominations and select the winner(s) based upon published criteria. Winner(s) shall be notified during the Annual Banquet held during the State Amateur Championship.
Winners will be eligible to submit proof of expenses incurred between May 1 and September 1,of the year the award is received.
PROOF OF EXPENSES AND COMPLETION OF EVENTS MUST BE PRESENTED TO THE WKSGA EXECUTIVE SECRETARY TO SECURE REIMBURSEMENT. JUNIOR GOLF COMMITTEE SHALL MAKE THE FINAL DETERMINATION OF REIMBURSEMENT AMOUNT.
SEND PROOF OF EXPENSES AND COMPLETION OF EVENTS TO:
Mrs. Marsha Bordas, Executive Secretary
900 Marbella Lane
Lexington, KY 40502