Pair of Mikes Lead After First Round of Kentucky Senior Team Championship
RICHMOND, KY (June 7, 2021) - On a muggy day at The University Club at Arlington, round one of the Kentucky Senior Team Championship was conducted. The format of the day was chapman alternate shot, where teams of two each tee off, hit each other’s tee shot, then proceed to finish the hole in alternate shot. Senior players from all over the state have come to compete in this unique event which will conclude tomorrow with a round in the four-ball format.
A pair of Mikes will lead the Senior Division heading into tomorrow's round. Mike Brumfield of Louisville and Mike Crowe of Elizabethtown notched nine birdies on the day en route to a round of 65 (-7) which gives them a two-shot advantage over a trio of teams tied for second. Brumfield and Crowe did the bulk of their damage on the front nine, where they shot 30 (-6). Among the chasers are the teams of Greg Engle/David Rudder, defending champions Scott Ray/Buddy Bryant and Tony Wise/Tom Campbell. They all fired rounds of 67 (-5).
In the Masters Division, there is a tie at the top of the leaderboard. Rick Harp/Tom Majcher share the lead with Scott Pottinger/Bill Leavell after both teams shot rounds of 71 (-1). Harp and Majcher were as steady as it gets, as they made seventeen pars and one birdie. Pottinger and Leavell went bogey-free on the front nine en route to a 32 (-4), but went birdie-free on the back for a 39 (+3). Trailing by two and in solo third is the duo of Kenneth Kirchner/Stefan Robbins after posting 73 (+1).
Steve Houchen/Mike Lenox put together a round of 70 (-2) to lead the Legends Division by one stroke. They dropped in four birdies just on the front nine. Trailing them after posting 71 (-1) is the duo of Terry Bowman/Rick Cain. They made five birdies on the day including three on par-fives.
The teams currently leading the net divisions are the following:
- Senior Division: Mike Brumfield/Mike Crowe - 62 (-10)
- Masters Division: Ron Snowden/Porter Roberts - 61 (-11)
- Legends Division: Steve Houchen/Mike Lenox - 68 (-4)
NOTES & STATS
- Across all divisions, there were two eagles made today. One on the par-five 2nd from Tony Wise/Tom Campbell while Greg Engle/David Rudder made the other eagle on the par-five 12th.
- In spite of the eagles on those par-fives, it was the par-five 9th which was the easiest statistically today. Its stroke-to-par average was -0.28 with fifteen birdies made there.
- Not coming as a huge surprise, the hardest hole was the 17th. The long, tricky par-four allowed only one birdie on its way to playing +0.62.
- The back nine was considerably harder than the front nine, as the back nine averaged 38.52 to the front nine’s 35.87. Added up, the course average was 74.39 for all divisions.